Splendors of Egypt & the Nile
January 21–February 1, 2023
Join the Purdue President’s Council on an 11-night bucket list land and cruise program to uncover Egypt’s ancient secrets while visiting iconic landmarks, temples, and monuments! Begin and end the tour in Cairo while staying at the 5-star Four Seasons Hotel Cairo and cruise the Nile aboard the brand new and all-inclusive, 84-guest Uniworld S.S. Sphinx, exclusively chartered for the President’s Council. An enchanting land of marvels, myths, and wonders old and new, Egypt is an extraordinary destination no culturally curious traveler will want to miss.
Your participation supports the
President’s Council Enrichment Fund
Your travel-package registration fee includes support for ongoing adventures, events, and lifelong educational opportunities with the President’s Council family. As a part of your overall price, a $500-per-person, tax-deductible donation to the President’s Council Enrichment Fund helps underwrite the involvement of Purdue educators and administrators to enhance your personal travel experiences—a benefit exclusive to Purdue President’s Council members.
Cruise & Tour Itinerary Highlights:
- Gaze upon the mighty ancient Pyramids and the mysterious Sphinx
- Wander amongst the towering ruins of the Temple of Karnak, the world’s largest ancient religious complex, and the Temple of Luxor
- Visit the Temple of Queen Hatshepsut, Egypt’s first female ruler
- Follow in the footsteps of renowned scholars and explorers at Valley of the Kings, the ancient burial grounds of Egyptian royalty
- Enjoy an exhilarating ride in a felucca, a traditional Nile River sailboat
- Visit the Egyptian Museum and its unrivaled collection of artifacts, including treasures recovered from the tomb of King Tutankhamun
- Join a bird-watching boat ride and enjoy tea with a Nubian family
- 9 days of excursions, all fully hosted by English-speaking trained Egyptologists, visiting 15 UNESCO World Heritage sites
Exclusive President’s Council Package Inclusions:
- Four nights at the 5-star Four Seasons Hotel Cairo at Nile Plaza
- Seven-night luxury Nile River cruise aboard the all-inclusive, 84-guest Uniworld S.S. Sphinx, exclusively chartered for the President’s Council
- President’s Council Welcome & Farewell Receptions
- Sightseeing in Cario and daily shore excursions led by English-speaking, trained Egyptologists
- All meals in two gourmet dining venues onboard the S.S. Sphinx, including al fresco dining on the upper deck and daily breakfast during land portion in Cairo (11 breakfasts, 7 lunches, 8 dinners)
- Complimentary house wine, local beer, soft drinks, tea, and coffee during lunch and dinner onboard the S.S. Sphinx
- All gratuities for ship staff, drivers, and guides
- Complimentary shipwide Internet and Wi-Fi access
- Luxurious public ship areas, including a lounge with full-service bar, a sun deck with a swimming pool, and a massage room
- Flights between Cairo and Luxor
- Included transfers to and from the Cairo International Airport
- $500-per-person, tax-deductible donation to the President’s Council Enrichment Fund
- Purdue President’s Council and Global Tracks staff
Detailed Itinerary & Included Excursions:
Arrive at Cairo International Airport. If your cruise/tour package includes a group arrival transfer or if you have purchased a private arrival transfer, a Uniworld representative will be on hand to greet you and escort you to the opulent Four Seasons Hotel Cairo at Nile Plaza.
The ancient quarter of Cairo is intense—the colors, the sounds, the density of people—and it’s likely been this way for thousands of years. Your local expert will show you a 12th-century citadel, the beautiful Alabaster Mosque, and an unsurpassed collection of priceless artifacts including mind-boggling treasures once buried with the boy king Tutankhamen.
Included Excursion: Citadel of Salah al-Din, Alabaster Mosque, and Egyptian Museum
Prepare to be amazed by the legendary Temple of Karnak, a massive and absolutely astounding site with gigantic columns, broad avenues lined with stone sphinxes and halls of truly epic proportions.
This evening, you’ll revel in a Welcome Reception and Dinner onboard.
Included Excursion: Temple at Karnak
Like its twin shrine, the Temple of Karnak, the Temple of Luxor stands on the site of ancient Thebes, the once flourishing capital of Egypt’s New Kingdom. It was built over hundreds of years and even in ruins it is still an extraordinary place. You’ll also visit the Temple of Hathor, dedicated to the goddess of love and beauty.
Included Excursions: Temple of Hathor and Temple of Luxor
The word “colossal” will take on a whole new meaning after today’s excursion to the gigantic twin statues known as the Colossi of Memnon. And that’s just the beginning—you’ll also visit the temple of one of Egypt’s rare female pharaohs as well as the Valley of the Kings, used as a royal burial place for nearly 500 years and where the mummified remains of Tutankhamen are on display.
Included Excursion: Colossi of Memnon, Hatshepsut Temple, and Valley of the Kings
After visiting a temple dedicated to a crocodile god today (don’t miss the display of some of the 300 mummified crocs found in the local area), hop aboard a small boat for a bird-watching excursion along the Nile.
Included Excursions: Kom Ombo Temple and Bird Watching Boat Ride
Today is an epic day, filled with wonders from start to finish. You’ll visit a marvel of modern engineering—the Aswan High Dam—as well as the Unfinished Obelisk and the beautiful Philae Temple complex, which was moved from one island to another back in the 1970s. But wait, there’s more. You’ll also take a ride in a felucca—a traditional Egyptian sailboat—and enjoy afternoon tea at a famous hotel depicted in Agatha Christie’s novel Death on the Nile.
After dinner onboard this evening, you’ll be treated to an enchanting Nubian show featuring traditionally-attired performers, live music and dancing.
Included Excursions: Boat Ride in Traditional Nile River Felucca and Afternoon Tea at the Old Cataract Hotel Aswan, Aswan High Dam, Unfinished Obelisk, and Temple of Isis
Spend the day at leisure or join us for an optional excursion to see the magnificent temples of Abu Simbel.
On today’s excursion, you’ll learn how the Temple of Esna – one of the last great Egyptian temples ever built – was buried under debris for many centuries. Your Egyptologist guide will share all sorts of fascinating insights about this significant cultural site and show you the façade bearing the last known hieroglyphic inscriptions ever recorded in Egypt.
Later, savor the Nile’s majestic scenery as the ship cruises to Luxor.
Included Excursion: Temple of Khnum
Disembark in Luxor and transfer to the airport for your return flight to Cairo. Then, check in to the Four Seasons Hotel at Nile Plaza where you’ll have time to relax before dinner.
It’s a day of Bucket List Moments today as we venture to Ancient Memphis, a UNESCO World Heritage Site with a number of amazing monuments to see, including the enigmatic Great Sphinx. After seeing the pyramids from afar last evening, you’ll have a thrilling opportunity to view them from an up-close perspective; the only way to fully appreciate their remarkable size and grandeur.
Included Excursion: Ancient Memphis sites, including the Pyramids of Giza with small pyramid entry, The Great Sphinx and Sakkara Visit
Check out of your hotel and transfer to the Cairo International Airport for your flight home or extend your trip with a memorable, optional extension in Jerusalem.
Estimated President’s Council Rates*:
*These rates are estimated until 2023 rates are available (expected to be released in June 2021)
Land and Cruise Program
Category & Deck
|French Balcony | Decks 2, 4 | 233 sq. ft.||$6,749||$11,625|
|Deluxe French Balcony | Deck 4 | 285 sq. ft.||waitlisted||$7,549||$13,025|
|Suite | Deck 4 | 344 sq. ft.||waitlisted||$8,449||$16,650|
|Grand Suite | Decks 3, 4 | 430 sq. ft.||$9,549||$16,698|
|Royal Suite | Decks 3, 4 | 495 sq. ft.||waitlisted||$10,349||$20,448|
Rates include a $500-per-person, tax-deductible donation to the President’s Council Enrichment Fund.
Rates include port taxes.
Double pricing is based on double occupancy or two people per stateroom.
Single pricing is based on one person per stateroom and is capacity-controlled by Uniworld and subject to change.
Optional Pre-Tour Package:
Jordan & Petra Pre-Tour | January 16–21, 2023
Explore ancient ruins and rock-cut masterpieces on this 5-night pre-tour extension in Jordan. Thousands of years of history are yours to uncover as you wind your way through destinations brimming with archaeological wonders, mountainous landscapes, and ancient ruins. This insightful discovery will open your eyes to the magnificence of this not-to-miss country!
Optional Post-Tour Package:
Jerusalem Post-Tour | February 1–5, 2023
Jerusalem is a city rich in history, religion, and heritage—all of which you’ll discover on this 4-night post-tour extension that will take you to some of the oldest and holiest sites in the world. From the fascinating Old City to the vibrant downtown, there’s no shortage of ways to uncover this city’s enthralling past and captivating present!